If you want to install this package manually, without using setuptools, simply untar the package file downloaded from the PyPI site and look for the folder named "GenericSetup" underneath the "Products" folder at the root of the extracted tarball. Copy or link this "GenericSetup" folder into your Zope "Products" folder and restart Zope.
The 'setup_tool' knows how to export / import configurations and scripts for the following tools:
- removal / creation of specified tools
- itself :)
- the role / permission map on the "site" object (its parent)
- properties of the site object
- placeful utilities and adapters registered in the local site manager. Placeless utilities can only be imported.
Extending The Tool
Third-party products extend the tool by registering handlers for import / export of their unique tools.
See doc/handlers.txt for a step by step how-to.
GenericSetup doesn't ship with any profile. They have to be provided by third-party products and depend on the registered handlers.
See doc/profiles.txt for more details.
- Site --
- The instance in the Zope URL space which defines a "zone of service" for a set of tools.
- Profile --
- A "preset" configuration of a site, defined on the filesystem
- Snapshot --
- "Frozen" site configuration, captured within the setup tool
- "dotted name" --
- The Pythonic representation of the "path" to a given function / module, e.g. 'Products.GenericSetup.tool.exportToolset'.